Royal Institute of Technology,
School of Information and Communication Technology,
Department of Electronic Systems
Professor at KTH-ICT-ES
Isafjordsgatan 26, 3rd floor, Lift B
Office:+46 8 790 41 19
Fax: +46 8 751 17 93
Prof. Dr.h.c Prof.h.c. Hannu Tenhunen is chair professor of Electronic Systems at Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden. Prof. Tenhunen has held professor position as full professor, invited professor or visiting honorary professor in Finland (TUT, UTU), Sweden (KTH), USA (Cornel U), France (INPG), China (Fudan and Beijing Jiatong Universities), and Hong Kong (Chinese University of Hong Kong), and has an honorary doctorate from Tallinn Technical University.
He has been director of multiple national large scale research programs or being an initiator and director of national or European graduate schools. He has actively contributed on VLSI and SoC design in Finland and Sweden via creating new educational programs and research directions, most lately at European level as being the EU-level Education Director of the new European flagship initiative European Institute of Technology and Innovations (EIT), and its Knowledge and Innovation Community EIT ICT Labs. Prof. Tenhunen has been active in promoting the innovation system and innovation support mechanism in research and education both at national and European level.
Prof. Tenhunen has been a board member in science parks, start-up companies, and has served as advisor or expert for high technology companies and venture capitalists, as well as evaluator for EU and national programs and research institutes. He has supervised over 70 M.Sc. thesis, 39 doctoral thesis, and 8 post-doc. From his doctoral students and post-docs, as of today, 21 are currently professors and associate professors.
Prof. Tenhunen has served in Technical Program Committee's of all major conferences in his area, have been general chairman or vice-chairman or member of Steering Committee of multiple conferences in his core competence areas. He has been one of the founding editorial board member of 3 scientific journal, have been quest editor for multiple special issues of scientific journals or books, and have contributed numerous invited papers to journals. He has contributed to over 127 journal papers, over 656 reviewed international conference papers, over 190 non-reviewed papers, local conference papers, or other publications, and 9 international patents granted in multiple countries. Prof. Tenhunen is member of Academy of Engineering Science of Finland.
Scientific expert positions Top
Short CV Top
Higher education degree(s)
• M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, 1982, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland, with majors in Electron Physics and Computer Engineering, minors in Solid State Physics, Theoretical Physics, and Mathematics. "Anomalous Properties of Silicondioxide and Chal¬cogenide Glasses", Master of Science Thesis (in Finnish), Helsinki University of Technology, August 1982, 151 p.
Doctoral degree (year, discipline/subject area, dissertation title, and supervisor).
• Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, in 1985 with major in Microelectronics and minor in Applied and Engineering Physics (Microfabrication). “Formation of Anodic Porous Silicon for Silicon-on-Insulator VLSI Structures” , Supervisor: Professor Peter Krusius
Postdoctoral work (year and placement).
• Acting Associate Professor of Electronics, Electronics Laboratory, Tampere University of Technology, Finland, Sept. 1985-June 1986
• Acting professor, Tampere University of Technology, 1986-88
Qualification/appointments as research fellow/associate professor (year).
• Associate professor 1988, Tampere University of Technology
• Formally qualified by expert evaluators to multiple professor positions 1988-92 period
• Full professor (fulmakt professor) 1992 Royal Institute of Technology (KTH),
• Visiting professor, Cornell University, USA, 1998
• Honorary Doctor (Dr.h.c.) Tallinn Technical University, Estonia,
• Honorary professor, Fudan University, Shanghai, & Beijing Jiatong University, China,
• Adjunct professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong,, 2001-2006, 20006-2011
• Research fellow at Turku Center for Computer Science, 2002
• Nokia Fellow, 2005
• Professeur Invite’, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France, 2005
• Invited professor, University of Turku, Finland. 2006-2010
• Permanent Member of Academy of Engineering Sciences of Finland, 2009 forward
Specialist certification or equivalent
• Docent, Tampere University of Technology, 1994 (Digital Systems), Helsinki University of Technology, 1999 (VLSI System Design), University of Turku, 2001 (Nanoelectronic systems).
Current position, period of appointment, share of time spent in research.
• Professor (fulmakt professor, chair professor), Kungl Tekniska Högskolan/Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 1992 forward. (time spent on research: 70%)
Previous positions and periods of appointment.
• Associate professor and acting professor, Tampere University of Technology, 1985-1991.
• Coordinator of National Microelectronics Program of Finland 1987-1991.
• Head of Laboratory, Digital Signal Processing Laboratory, Tampere University of Technology, 1988-1990
• Dean, School of Information Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, 2001-2005
• Invited professor of nanoelectronics, University of Turku, Finland, 2006-2010.
• Director of Turku Centre of Computer Science, Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland, 2006-2010.
• Professor Invite´, Institute National Polytechnique de Grenoble (INPG), 2005-2006
• Invited visiting professor, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1998
• Adjunct Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, China, 2006-
• Honorary professor, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
• Honorary professor, Beijing Jiatong University, Beijing, China
· • Director of Education, European Institute of Innovation and Technology, EIT ICTlabs 2008-2012
Interruptions in research. Specify the reason(s) and give the time and dates of the interruption.
• On leave of absence from KTH between 2006-2010 to work as Director of TUCS, Finland, an interdisciplinary research and education center integrating different disciplines to its operations and providing three different distinct Masters and PhD degrees in engineering, natural sciences, and economics. He was also a director of the TUCS doctoral school with over 110 PhD students. Sabbatical year as prestigious Senior Individual Grant Holder, SSF, 2005
Individuals who have completed their doctoral degree under your supervision or postdoctoral period under your main supervision.
* PhD graduates under my supervision. Individuals marked with @ have reached professor or associate professor status
* Post-docs starting in my laboratory after their PhD and who have reached docent or professor level positions:
• Prof. Tenhunen was actively involved in the establishment of International Masters Programs at KTH and earlier in Finland, and has given lectures in over 40 different courses at graduate and post-graduate levels. He has established and directed multiple doctoral schools, and have been Director of Education for European Institute and Technology EIT ICTLabs 2008-2012. He has contributed to over 127 journal publications and book chapters, over 656 international reviewed conference publications, 9 international patents. He has cited over 5000 times.
Other information of importance to the application
• Prof. Tenhunen received prestigious Shanghai Mangolian Silver Award and Medal from City of Shanghai in 2014 for the contributions to develop Shanghai.
• For research publications see:
• Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yD591D4AAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hannu_Tenhunen
• Google H-Index is 28 with 5280 citations and Research Gate RG Score is 35.54 and 4527 publication downloads from Research Gate.
• For detailed CV and education & research activities see: http://web.ict.kth.se/~hannu/