Assignment: Presentation of a research article
To successfully complete this assignment you should present a research article in class. Suggestions of articles are given below. You're welcome to come with you're own suggestions, but please ask for my approval. The presentation should be approximately 45 min.
Important things to keep in mind:
- What is the motivation for the article to exist? In what context
does the article fit?
- What are the main results? Why are they important? (Or, why are they
- How do the proofs go? Main ideas and techniques? Sketch important
proofs but leave out tedious details that you find less significant.
- Your (motivated) opinion on the article? Well-presented or not?
Important or not? Interesting or not? What is good? What is bad?
- Kinser, New inequalities for subspace arrangements
- Athanasiadis, Characteristic polynomials of subspace arrangements and finite fields
- Bonin, De Mier, Noy, Lattice path matroids (first 15 pages)
- Korn, Pak, Combinatorial evaluations of the Tutte polynomial
- Ardila, Transversal and cotransversal matroids via their representations
- Ardila, Computing the Tutte polynomial of a hyperplane arrangement